Sunday, March 1, 2009

March 1 Post: Avatars

Let me begin by saying that I had a ton of fun making avatars this week. I really enjoyed http://www.gizmoz.com/, but I decided to upload a different avatar that I made, from http://www.simpsonsmovie.com/main.html.



Moving on. The readings for this week were very informative. I have very little experience with avatars, aside from seeing Dwight Schrute’s Second Life character on my favorite show, The Office. I remember that episode vividly, and I remember thinking that the technology was pretty cool. Before the readings, I had not considered that avatars could be used for educational purposes. Boy, was I wrong. I can absolutely see the benefit of using avatars, particularly in an online class. Sometimes, online classes can feel a little bit isolating and alienating, since students miss out on actually interacting with classmates (unless online chats, for example, are required). Even when classmate interaction is facilitated through chats, that visual element sometimes remains missing, and the visual element is a factor that students find important. For example, my blog buddy and I added each other as friends on Facebook last week, and I now feel like I know her a bit better. We have chatted online for quite a few weeks, but I now feel like I have an even fuller picture. Avatars can serve an even more personalized purpose than images alone, and they can be even more effective in this regard. I think that they have the potential to revolutionize online classes (and other classes, for that matter), but I think that most people are still fairly unfamiliar with the whole avatar issue.

In my experience, students are very engaged and excited about avatars. I overheard someone in one of my classes discussing an experience in which she showed an avatar of herself to her own students and had the avatar explain the daily writing prompt. She said that the students were completely blown away. As a result of her efforts, the students were engaged in the activity. The readings for this week seem to suggest a similar pattern. Even if avatars are not as useful as students would hope, as was the case with the eFolio avatar, they nevertheless spur student curiosity and involvement with the class. I have taken the same class (from the study) in which we had to create an eFolio, and believe me, that project was incredibly confusing. I certainly understand the rationale for creating an avatar to field student questions for EDHD 5007.

At this point, the whole “avatar abuse” thing should probably be addressed. Maybe I am too liberal for my own good, but I simply don’t think that it is that huge of an issue. This is a new technology that, as I said above, thrives on student curiosity. Of course they are going to push the boundaries of the technology—actually, I would be disappointed if they weren’t interested in the capabilities of the technology. If sexuality is a natural part of “human” life, doesn’t it make sense that students would be interested to find out if the non-human avatar was programmed to respond in an equally human-like fashion? Though I wouldn’t type inappropriate comments to an avatar in a school setting, I would nevertheless be curious to find out how an avatar would respond to such…dare I say it…probing questions? I think it just comes with the territory. The study gave a bunch of students anonymous access to an attractive computer “tutor” without consequences. I would have been more surprised if the inappropriate comments did not occur. In my opinion, the same goes for the group of high school students discussed in the readings. Demographically, should we be shocked that high school boys like to test boundaries and are interested in attractive females, or that their minds aren’t always the purest? I think not.

I am not suggesting that abuse to women is not a serious issue. But there is a significant distinction that must be made—these avatars may appear to be life-like but they are definitely NOT real humans, and I think that the “dirty talk” that the avatars face has much more to do with technological curiosity than anything else. I don’t think we should expect that people pay avatars the same level of respect as an actual human—in the end, why does it matter? Nobody gets hurt. I don’t think that this mistreatment of avatars should deter avatar use, primarily because they offer so many great benefits. According to Veletsianos et al., “pedagogical agents can (a) increase motivation, (b) increase perceptions of comfort, (c) stimulate learning, (d) enhance information and communication flow, (e) fulfill personal connection to learning, and (f) enhance problem solving processes” (293). Though not every student will benefit from the use of pedagogical agents, I feel that they are a great tool that can enhance learning. If teachers or professors are really worried about “avatar abuse,” then they always have the option of creating a gender-neutral avatar (although I would bet that students will still be curious enough to find new ways to push boundaries).

I think that the anonymity of comments in both of the readings for this week is another monumental factor. If you want to curb inappropriate comments fielded by avatars, simply track the comments back to the students. Problem solved. I know that this would deter the majority of students from “testing the waters” in this way. The readings remind us that “the Internet lowers human inhibitions…especially when anonymity is involved” (294).

So my thoughts boil down to the fact that I am definitely an advocate of avatar use in the classroom. Though there are some downsides such as avatar abuse according to some, the pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion. In fact, if the teacher is planning on creating an avatar of him/herself, I think that a great way to decrease “avatar abuse” would be to have students create avatars of themselves. If they are involved with the process to a greater extent, perhaps they will be more aware of the capabilities of the technology, thus curbing many of the risqué comments that are simply meant to test the limits of this technology. If the students are involved in the process of creating avatars for a class, then media literacy and engagement will be increased anyway, which should be an important goal for any teacher.

4 comments:

  1. Re your colleague who said her students were "blown away" by the use of an avatar. I wonder if that would wear off after a few times. I definitely think it could captivate the audience and make everyone listen but don't kids these days become desensitized pretty quickly? I'm not an educator but that would be my guess--that it would be an attention grabber a few times, then the novelty would wear off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for impure thoughts, but I'll still stand up for that when they are voiced as means of denigration, even of non humans, it is the drive to make such comments that concerns me. Sure, it will continue to happen - but theoretically speaking it isn't acceptable to a value system that stresses respect and diversity.

    I appreciate your enthusiasm for the potential benefits of avatars in education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O,

    Piggybacking off of Eric-I agree. One of the articles talked about how they initially engage students even if they are found to be rather useless in their purpose-to aid in the teaching and learning process. However, they do grab your attention. This may be a good place to start. Plenty of times grabbing attention is the biggest problem, but once you have that..you're on your way. However, I too wonder whether or not this will last. They are exciting...they're weird..thus the excitement. But once the students are "used" to them, or have seen them a few times..then what? Case in point that we as educators need to stay atop the newest to keep this excitement and engagement. I also liked that you bring up the online class issue. Aside from Thom's class...remember the online public health fiasco? Ugh. How boring, unoriginal and thus, waste of time feel we all got from that class. We did get to listen to our prof speak in what I think are textoids (Ha. ?), and if his sense of humor wasn't so dry and his sarcasm so excellent..I probably would have killed myself. These CAs and avatars make a class like Thom's even better I think. Onliners have a tendency to remove us from exactly what is trying to be accomplished in a sense. Having some sort of virtual interaction helps make this all a little more relevant and dare I say accessible. Makes me feel like less of a number I suppose. Haha avatar abuse. I don't know why I find this to be so damn funny, but I do. I really dig that you bring up students making their own avatars as a means to decrease the abuse. I actually think this may work..for awhile. Involvement and experimentation goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there blog buddy! I really enjoy reading your blogs, and I totally agree with you on the whole thing about kids being curious. We can't always blaim everything on the kids because anyone would be curious what the avatars would do. Good job and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete